- Pages: 48
- Age: 7+
- Publisher: Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd
- Dimensions: 297 x 228 mm
- Format: Paperback with holographic foil
100 Facts Volcanoes is the ultimate volcano book for kids! Bursting with exactly 100 awesome facts, mind-blowing images and fun activities, children will learn everything they need to know about these fiery forces of nature.
100 Facts Volcanoes includes key topics about powerful and dangerous volcanoes in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Information is accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs that put facts into context for children.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Volcanoes:
• How a volcano is formed by tectonic plate movements
• What happens when a volcano erupts explosively
• What hazards and side effects a volcanic eruption can cause
Examples of ‘I don’t believe it’ fascinating facts:
• When runny magma erupts from a volcano, it can form fountains of lava up to 300 metres high. That’s as high as the Empire State Building!
• Before AD 79, Mount Vesuvius had not erupted for 800 years. The Romans did not realize it was a volcano or that there was any danger.
• Local man Harry Truman refused to leave his home near Mount St Helens, despite warnings. The lodge he lived in was buried in the explosion.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
• Find out how magma works by shaking a bottle of fizzy drink and seeing how the bubbles of gas react
• Make a model volcano to create an eruption
• Find out why volcanologists wear silver suits